February 08, 2022 All Day
Subjects covered include:
Upon completion of the activities in this session, you will be able to:
- Identify the supervisory structure.
- Explain your company mission and values.
- Apply values to create and sustain a work culture.
- Explain the role of human resources professionals.
- Identify legal requirements for supervisors.
- Recognize and value diversity in the workforce.
- Define the requirements of the supervisor in eliminating discrimination.
- Explain how to identify and eliminate harassment on the jobsite.
- Define the basic elements of construction supervision.
- Identify, organize and prioritize supervision responsibilities.
- Describe how to build relationships using various leadership styles.
- Explain leadership and motivation characteristics.
- Describe examples of good leadership.
- Recognize the supervisor’s role in communication.
- Describe barriers to communication and how to eliminate them.
- Recognize and define the different forms of communication.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills.
- Describe good practices for electronic communication devices.
- Describe how to be a good listener.
- Describe how to handle confrontations effectively.
- Describe requirements for giving orders and providing instruction.
- Define the importance of planning and organizing your work.
- Identify effective time management techniques.
- Describe how to minimize non-productive activities.
- Explain the need to maximize the return on your time investment.
- Describe how to reduce stress through better management of your time.
- Explain each step in the eight-step planning process.
- Develop a work plan.
- Utilize schedules to identify activities, their durations and activity relationships.
- Develop a bar (Gantt) chart.
- Develop a short-term production schedule.
- Describe benefits of a safe and healthful workplace.
- Define the supervisor’s responsibility for safety.
- Explain how safety affects a company’s competitive position and profitability.
- Recognize stress characteristics and their impact on safe performance.
- Identify hazards and plan ways to eliminate or reduce them.
- List the direct and indirect costs of an accident.
- Explain how EMR rates affect your company’s ability to compete.
- Describe OSHA/MSHA administrative requirements and standards.
- Recognize the impact of drug and alcohol abuse on productivity and safety.
- Identify risk potential at all levels of your project.
- Explain the risk/reward concept.
- Describe different contract documents to define roles and responsibilities.
- Explain the requirements for change orders.
- Describe how to manage change orders and make them a profit center.
- Explain different time impacts that can affect your schedule.
- Explain that the Dispute Resolution Process stresses resolving disputes at the lowest possible level.
- Describe the guidelines of contract law for your work.
- Describe Contract Documents and your responsibilities.
- Describe the importance of accurately identifying problems.
- Describe the perspective of a problem-solving attitude.
- Identify potential solutions to problems.
- Identify opportunities for improvement.
- Use the seven-step decision-making process.
- Describe how a construction estimate is established.
- Explain the difference between conceptual and detailed estimates.
- Develop material estimates.
- Describe how to use unit prices to control labor and equipment budgets.
- Describe how to measure productivity of equipment and labor.
- Explain how to increase productivity.
- Describe means for improving labor productivity.
- List ten steps to improve equipment productivity.
- Identify ways to improve productivity of suppliers and specialty contractors.
- Review concepts and key elements of each session.
- Recognize and understand the career opportunities available to people working in the construction industry.
- Determine educational opportunities, including AGC programs, which offer training to prepare a person for advancement in the construction industry.
- Assess the level of skills and knowledge necessary to advance your career.
- Plan for career advancement.